Sunday, June 5, 2011

My Life with Dogs; The Happy Ending

Butchie was in an admirable position. She was my very first pet. That alone should have given her a special place in my heart. Instead, I consider her to be wild and greedy.

Poor little Fluffy was destructive and high-strung.

Lizzy was smart enough, but also rather dumb.

Laddie was not only the King of Dumb, he was also supremely lazy.

And then there is Max. He has done much better on the scale of acceptable doggy traits. He is willing, optimistic, happy and loyal…but there is that persistent barking problem.

What a bunch of trouble. I have no interest in inviting anymore such headaches into my life, and often wonder why anyone does. I realize that sounds harsh, but it is my life, after all.

Well, no, it isn’t…not really. My life belongs to God because I turned it over to him long ago.

As He evaluates this life that I have surrendered to him, I wonder how it will measure up? Will my undisciplined ways be shocking to him? Will my vindictiveness horrify him? Will my bad habits disgust him? Will the thought of me bring to mind the phrase, “She doesn’t even have a clue,”? Will my positive qualities go unappreciated because the negative ones are so annoying?

Undoubtedly, the God who sees all things knows the unappealing truth of who I am. Miraculously, it does not change his opinion of me. He has called me the apple of his eye, and I will ever be precious in his sight.

Though my character may often mirror the unacceptable behavior of Butchie, Fluffy, Lizzy, Laddie and Max, I know God will not turn away from me. While I am eager to wash my hands of my little troublemakers, God has inscribed my name on the palms of his hands.

God’s ways are not my ways, and for that, I am eternally grateful.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Amen and AMEN! Love the phrase "While I am eager to wash my hands of my little troublemakers, God has inscribed my name on the palms of his hands." Beautiful parallel. You have a gift in the way you're sharing your heart and in communicating through the written word. I praise God for who He made you and I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.