Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Ultimate Impact

An earthquake, a hurricane, and a mastiff make a lasting impression, but none of them will have the impact of my final experience.

I finished up the summer by driving to the airport.

Driving on unfamiliar roads, especially if freeways are involved, may be my least favorite thing to do. In the past, I would not drive on the freeway at all, opting to take side roads if I absolutely had to get somewhere, but this time, there were no options. Someone had to drive to the airport, and I was the only one available to do it.

I imagine that BWI is similar to other major airports. My exit was well marked and accessed easily, roads were in good shape, and airport traffic was light. I even had a GPS for reassurance. All the same, my stomach was in knots and my limbs were trembling by the time I pulled up to the curb where my family members waited. My relief could not be measured when I finally turned the car keys over to my son.

I realize it makes no sense to feel this way, but it is a good example of how we are all unique. Each one has weaknesses and each one has strengths.  I doubt that I will ever be comfortable driving on unfamiliar roads, even though I have made several trips of hundreds of miles on my own. My first trip of any length was about 55 miles and took about an hour. It doesn’t sound like much, but even this was a drive I wouldn’t have made if I had any other choice. I have also driven from Michigan to Florida, then back the other way, three months later. Are you impressed? Don’t be. It took me six days, both ways. Last year I had to drive to Tennessee from Michigan, and most of that trip was driving through a blizzard at night. If you look closely, you can still see the imprint of the steering wheel on my hands. The last trip was just as nerve-wracking as the first.

By now, you may think I’m pathetic, and maybe I feel pathetic myself. However, I understand two things. Number one, we all have our “freeways”. Every individual will face what seems like an impossible challenge at some point, but pressing forward in our own strength is not the answer. Instead, it can be a tremendous opportunity to reap one of the benefits of being a Christian. That’s number two. A Christian always has resources available that others don’t have access to. God’s grace, his mercy, his enablement, his wisdom, his power and so much more, are at our disposable. The only requirement is that we ask for it. That means humbling ourselves and admitting we are not able to succeed on our own.

A Christian ought to be able to do that.

This doesn’t mean we don’t try anymore. It does mean that our efforts will have greater success and be directed in appropriate ways. Psalm 46:1 tells us: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Hebrews 4:16 confirms this and emboldens us to ask for the help we need: Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

What a great God we have. He is willing to bear all of our burdens for us, even the stress of driving to the airport.

  Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.