Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New and Improved -- Really?


Quick! What’s a 10 letter word for headache? My immediate response would be technology. Specifically, new technology. I can’t keep up with it. By the time you have acquired the new model, figured out all its amazing capabilities, and become comfortable using it, the new, improved version has been released. The commercial showing the dismay of the guy accepting delivery of his new TV, as he watches a truck go by advertising a newer model, says it all.

I like the simple life. In fact, years ago, I used to think that I would be better suited for life in the 19th century. Once I really gave it some thought, though, I changed my mind. Would I really choose filling a bucket at the pump 50 feet away, over having running water in my house? Not Likely. Would I even be capable of hand-sewing all the clothes for my family? No, suits and winter coats would be much more serviceable if put together on a sewing machine. Scrubbing laundry on a washboard is hard work, and leaves your hands raw. Who wouldn’t prefer to use a washing machine? So many new household products have been introduced over the years, modern day housekeeping is nothing like it was 150 years ago.

Reality made me realize that “New and Improved” has always been around. Aside from the accelerated rate of obsolescence, the difference might be that until recently, household products were “hands on”. You could pretty much figure out how to use something by giving it a close look. If it needed to be repaired, there would be some mechanically inclined person nearby who could fix it for you. The electronic technology of today is different. If your computer keeps crashing or your cell phone won’t turn on, there’s nothing in the toolbox that’s going to be of any help. More often than not, it’s obsolete anyway, so you’re better off replacing it.

My childhood memories include telephones that were connected to the wall. Away from the house, a phone could be found easily enough. Phone booths were located prominently on every other street corner. Television had three broadcast networks-ABC, CBS, and NBC. Music came from a stereo radio or records, and the TV and stereo were both large wooden pieces of furniture that you arranged your room around. One of my most cherished possessions was a brand new set of World Book Encyclopedias. I have a feeling many kids today have never heard the word encyclopedia.

So many things from my childhood are now considered relics from the past. I wonder what essential article will be the next thing to be put up on the shelf for good. If that shelf happens to be a bookshelf, it will most likely be an empty one. E-books and E-readers are taking over the field of publishing. Bookstores are already closing and books could very well become hard to obtain. Who would ever have thought that would be a sign of progress?

My three sons find my reluctance to embrace all things new to be amusing, and they have pushed me into the age of technology. I own a digital camera, and truly appreciate the convenience. My cell phone goes with me everywhere, even to the mailbox. I’m on Facebook. I know how to Google, and I’ve recently become a blogger. Who would have guessed?

My most daring step toward going with the flow took place about three years ago. After lengthy consideration, I confidently entered one of the reigning electronics stores, and boldly purchased a DVD player. My son was stunned, but he was happy to come over and hook it up for me. My delight was dampened some when he left. With cable TV, a VCR, and now a DVD player all hooked up to one television set, I needed a handful of remote controls to work any of them. The next day I had Ben come back and write down step-by step directions for me, designating when to use which remote. I was able to use everything, though, and was pretty pleased with myself. That didn’t last too long. Currently, videotapes are old school, and DVD’s are being pushed to the sidelines in favor of ON-Demand movies.

Though my efforts might seem pathetic, I am trying to stay in touch with the pulse of current society. Still, I’m holding on tight. I have learned there is one thing that will never change. Progress is relentless and unavoidable.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. "encyclopedia" ??? Perhaps not mainstream...but, wikipedia??? Definitely. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might have been the first time I ever heard that term that I also heard the comment, "Anyone can enter anything on there, so it can't be reliable."

    So much for that. I don't believe I have ever gone to that site intentionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your comment, Sarah, and am happy that you took the time to read.

    Love you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as I have my son Jeremy to call, I'm good. He can fix my computer from another state! How do they know all these things? I sure didn't teach it to them!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.