Monday, April 18, 2011

Pickles and Centipedes Won't Mean a Thing


I took this picture a couple of years ago, and have always loved it. I realize you may not even be able to tell what it is, and that is the reason I haven’t shown it off to everyone. I like it anyways. If you were to ask me why, I probably couldn’t explain it. I just like it.

Not too long ago, I was horrified to discover that people willingly eat something called fried pickles. The thought alone makes me want to gag, but apparently others consider them to be a treat. I think I’ll choose the chips.

Yesterday, one friend was teasing another about eating a delicacy called…are you ready for this? Dried centipedes! In some cultures, they might be dainty morsels, but just the thought of eating one is enough to start a revolt in my stomach. Call me a picky eater, but I’m certain I’ll never be ordering that for an appetizer.

As the old saying goes, there’s no accounting for tastes. We’re all different. We like different things. Our life experiences and our temperaments combine to shape us into individuals. The same event might produce opposite responses in different people. We’re like snowflakes. Even in the heaviest blizzard, no two snowflakes are alike. No matter how many people are born, no two will be exactly alike, not even twins. No two will like everything the same, nor will two ever make all the same choices.

Most of the time, this makes no difference to anyone. There will come a day, though, when personal preferences for or against weird photos, pickles, or dried centipedes won’t mean a thing, but there is one choice that will make an eternal difference. Throughout history, one by one, every human has had to decide, “What will you do with this Jesus?”

Easter week is a fitting time to consider this. The response to this question is the only factor that will determine the destiny of any individual. To accept Jesus means that your place in heaven is secure. To reject Him assures your place apart from God, in a place of torment. Personal preference won’t matter then. Your family background won’t mean a thing. Nor will your temperament, your works, or anything else.

This may be the only choice that makes any real difference, and yet, many choose to ignore it. That won’t change the impact it will have. To ignore it is to reject Him. Don’t let that happen. Choose Jesus today.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.