Friday, August 12, 2011

Maryland...No, Michigan...No, Maryland

Who would have guessed? Even I didn’t know, but it must be true. Debbie Engle is currently attending The 2011 Faithwriters Conference, and yet, here I am in Bowie, Maryland. You may suggest that it must be another person who happens to share my name, but if you look closely, you will recognize my face. I’m told she hasn’t said much, and that, too, would be further evidence of the startling truth…I am twins!

How I could have come this far through life without figuring this out is beyond me. Through all the lonely and difficult times, why didn’t I know there was someone so much like me who would surely understand my sad and confused thoughts? Someone who would welcome my calls to share news, good or bad? Being a twin must be special, but not so much if you don’t even know about it until you’re, umm, … older.

Well, I have a feeling this conference won’t benefit my twin much, since she can’t hear. She can’t get around by herself either, so she may not make it to very many sessions. She’s actually not a good candidate to take part in a writer’s conference, but she’s there for my benefit. There are others there, just like her, and they are helping the cause by putting a smile on the face of several Faithwriters who could not attend this conference.

My twin is known as Flat Debbie. Somebody printed out a headshot of me and glued it to a cutout body. It’s all been done in fun, but it makes a pretty big statement. At Faithwriters, we support each other. When someone hurts, we hurt with them, and we pray for them. When someone finds success, we all celebrate. Taking Flat Debbie, and Flat Pat, and Flat Chelly, and Flat Marianne, and all the others to the conference in Michigan is their way of encouraging those who couldn’t be there. That’s what Faithwriters do.

That’s what God does, too. I don’t need a twin to find the comfort or understanding I need, because He will always be there for me, and He knows me better than even a twin could ever know me. As his children, we should always be ready to reach out to others with encouragement, or comfort, or celebration. Whether it’s through your church, or a group such as Faithwriters, caring about others and showing it by how you live your day-to-day life is just basic stuff –Christianity 101, so to speak--but what an impact it can have. Diana spent her time and resources to encourage me, as well as a bunch of other people. I believe we are all happy to be included in Faithwriters’ biggest event of year in such a fun, creative way. It has put a smile on my face and in my heart. Thanks, Sister.




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is SO funny...sweet and thoughtful... :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.